Thursday, July 1, 2010

#5 by Thoren Karth

Thoren Karth had been away from Java station for over a month. As he approached it from the Kyushu jump hole he spotted a flight of Outcast Switchblades headed for the station."Why in Sirius to they do that? Sending 4 fighters at a base and it's defensive fighters is just plain stupid. And I thought Cardamine was supposed to help them think clearer."

"Java station to unknown DSE ship. We're reading incoming bandits."
"I see em Java. Moving to intercept."
"Roger that DSE. Go evasive. We have a fighter wing coming to assist you."
"Completely not needed, but thanks for thinking of me!" With that Thoren charged into the Outcast formation guns blazing and missiles flying. One switchblade went down in the first pass. The pilot clearly had not expected a single fighter to make a head on pass against four enemies. The fight then went into a high speed dogfight. The switchblades were faster and more maneuverable, but Thoren's multi-role fighter had heavier shields and more firepower. And he was far more experienced than the Outcasts. He had two more enemies down by the time the IMG fighters arrived. The surviving Outcast new he was dead and tried a last suicidal charge. He didn't even get close before the combined fire of the four IMG Cobras and Thoren's Mamba turned it into scrap metal.

"THOREN!" cried one of the pilots "Where have you been!?"
"Hey there Jim. I've been sight seeing around the other side of Sirius. Lets dock and I"ll tell you all about it."

As Thoren, Jim and the other pilots entered the bar a shout from behind the counter boomed out: "Thoren! We thought you were dead!!"
"Oh I"m not dead. Not yet anyway. Sorry I never got around to telling you I was leaving for a bit. I was in Tau-29 and got a call from an old friend of mine that the Outcasts were going to attack somewhere in the Omega-41 system."
"Omegas? Why would you go there? And how in space do you know someone there well enough to go running of on a moments notice?"
"HAHA I wasn't always out this way you know. After first signing on with DSE as part of their counter pirate task force I was sent to the Sigmas. I flew there for some time. When the Outcasts made their sudden push into Omicron Theta and then into Gamma I was there. I stood with the Corsairs against the oncoming hoards. We were forced back though we dealt them a good blow even in our losses. Even though they came all the way to Omicron Gamma they couldn't attack Planet Crete because we had given them such a beating!"
"Planet Crete? What's that?" asked a young pilot sitting at the counter listening
"You must not get outside much. Planet Crete is the legendary home of the Corsairs. It's on the complete other side of the known systems. As I was saying. The Outcasts couldn't attack Planet Crete because I and the corsairs who I was with had bled their numbers so low. They had to get re-enforcements before they could mount an assault. But before they could the whole thing in Kusari happened. Nippon came to power and the Outcasts played a large part in that and it drained their resources. But then they made a move from Omicron Theta into Omega-41. It was just before that happened that a friend of mine on Freeport 9 got wind of the attack and sent me a message. As I said I was in Tau-29 shooting Outcasts. I didn't have time to even rearm before heading down through Britonia and through the Omegas to Omega-41."

"The battle was a small one. In the end the Outcasts won the day. I still haven't figured out why they wanted to go there. They haven't made a move since then."
"But I know it doesn't take a month to get there fight a battle and get back. Where did you go from there?" asked the barkeep
"Well from there I wandered up into the Sigmas. I stayed there for a week or so and fought more outcasts and a few other random pirates. Then I ran into some guy who was actually a good pilot. But he was flying as part of a group called "The Black Flag Corsairs". Strange name and they have nothing to do with The Corsairs. Anyway we had a good fight and chase all across Sigma-17 and 13. But I finally got him with a surprise maneuver. And from there I wandered back here through Kusari."

"Well we're glad you're back. The Outcasts have been increasing their movement of Cardamine into Kusari through the Kyushu jump hole. And take a look at this Outcast news feed we intercepted." Henry said in a grave tone.

Thoren watched in horror as he heard and saw the plans the Outcasts had in store for Planet Kyushu and Planet Honshu.
"We can't let this happen!" he said with passion. "It will take time to completely cardiform a planet. And it will take a steady supply of Cardimine from Malta. That's what we have to do. Take out that Cardamine before it ever reaches Kyushu."
"But you're only one man. And we have enough trouble here, we can't spare any ships to help you hunt the card haulers."
"I'm one man, but I'll find more. Speaking of which did that guy who was looking for me ever come back? Fantom wasn't it?"
"Yeah it was Fantom. No, he never did come back."
"Well I"ll have to start fighting and looking for people to help stop the barbarism of the Outcasts! If anyone comes here and you think they may be interested in helping stop the flow of cardamine would you have them contact me?"
"Sure thing Karth. You get some rest, I've had someone get a room for you."
"Thanks Henry. I"ll see you soon." Thoren said as he headed out of the bar.
"Oh and Karth, it's good to have to back!" called the barkeep after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment